Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Color

A week ago, I doubted we would see any noteworthy foliage this year. Autumn leaf colors along the roads I regularly travel were muted or not changing at all. On Wednesday, I drove just a little north of here and discovered hidden beauty. Even on that trip, the main road had little to show me. However, on the way home I took some back roads and saw more and more spots of vibrant colors.

The treasures we seek aren't always found along easy routes. In this case, the pretty trees seem to have been held in reserve, tucked away in the wrinkles and folds of a mischievous landscape and only allowed to emerge to play peek-a-boo or preen as the setting sun ignited their finery.

Whatever was at play here, reticence or bashfulness, the trees seem to have gotten over it and even the boulevard brethren have joined the party. Trees everywhere are adding pizzazz to their wardrobes and making the most of blue skies and sunny days to show off a bit. Some favor reds and some go for yellows. It's a spectacle to be sure. I'm enjoying it while it's here.

Fortunately, I've seen this show before. I don't want to spoil it for anybody, but the next act is more somber and bittersweet. Still good. Don't get me wrong. And possibly my favorite. The sensory experience just shifts from the eyes to the other senses. Get ready for some great aromas, a snap and crunch for the ears, and the cool crumble of brown, grounded gliders in your hands as you roll them around to create all-natural confetti.

You're gonna love it.




No comments:

Post a Comment