Saturday, December 31, 2016

Make Room for Success

I don't want to diminish your partying skills ... especially on such an auspicious evening, but try to keep up.

We are in downtown Washington, Indiana in a space overlooking Main Street. We're waiting for the crowd to gather. It could be a while.

Okay. I confess. Nothing is planned for midnight on Main Street here. Rather than blow into noisemakers and braving the showers of confetti, we're here. Rather than making certain our glasses are half full and nearby at the final minute, we're here. We usually plan a quiet evening, occasionally with friends. But tonight it's just us.

We're bringing in the new year by putting out the next edition of "Striving for Success" magazine. And doing some chores. For instance, I cleaned up the table where we have tea service in our office. I moved the printer and scanner from my desk to another nearby surface. I moved the glass beer mug that holds my pens, pencils, and highlighters to a shelf across the room. I'm getting ready. Are you?

This preparation makes sense in light of a book of instruction I have. It's called "Writing Rituals" and it's written to keep people like me on track.

I don't just like to write. I have to write. It's part of who I am. Since I'm a commercial writer, this isn't all bad. I get to channel my creativity into helping other people become successful.

I may help them explain their business. I may help them land a new client. I might persuade people to try their product or to donate money to their charity that is changing lives and helping people renew their hope. As a copywriter, I may do all that ... but not unless I'm ready.

The first ritual is clear your mind. That's the only one I'll share with you right now, but it's a doozy.

You don't just close your mind and go somewhere for a minute. You physically clear your work area. Put away things you just finished. Don't pull out things you've not yet begun, even though they're on your to-do list. You don't need anything but items that support what you intend to do right now.

Close all the windows on your desktop that aren't related to the work you're doing. Turn off any distracting sounds. Be here. Clear your mind.

So, I'm getting ready. I'm clearing my desk. I'm deleting old emails. I'm putting things away. I'm dealing with clutter. Tomorrow is a New Year. I am expectant. In 2017, Success -- in whatever form it chooses -- will come into my office and take up residence with me. I'm doing everything I can in the moment to make sure it has ample room to settle in. I intend it to stay for a long while.

1 comment: